So you've got your masterpiece. Either it came to you as a whirlwind in the sleepless night or the by product of finger bleeding as you wearily typed away your years of research. But you have it, it's here and it's done. Now all you have to do is give it to a publisher, sit back and watch the money fly in... right?
Sad to say, but wrong. You, as the author, are the largest seller of your book; no matter if you are Chuck Norris or Joe Schmo. The number of books you sell is directly proportionate to how active you are in selling it. You wrote it and people want to find out from you why to buy it. We as the publisher will do everything we can to help your book go as far as it can, but you still have to get the word out.
In today's electronic age, there are a lot of simple ways that you can expand your reach and get your word out. Here are just a few:
- Create a Facebook/Google+ page for your book. Consider giveaway contests for likes and follows.
- Create a YouTube channel and film yourself giving a 60 sec intro to the book.
- Blog about your book or related works at least weekly.
- Find other bloggers of related fields and send them free copies.
- Email a .pdf to trusted friends and family and ask them to write some reviews.
- Get those same people to buy it on amazon as gifts and to again write reviews.
- Give the ebook away for free for a period of time to build reviews and interest.
- Host book signing at local locations. Consider hot lunch spots during weekdays.